Powered By Blogger

Thursday 7 January 2016

Kurt Schwitters


Mixed Media Artists.

Kurt Schwitters

Born in Hanover Kurt Schwitters a German painter, sculptor, typographer and writer. His work is associated with the movements of Cubism and Expressionism. In 1918 Schwitters created a form of DADA called Merz.
Merz is a nonsense word to describe his collage and assemblage works based on scavenged scrap materials
Kurt Schwitters, '(Relief in Relief)' circa 1942-5
Relief in Relief

 
Kurt Schwitters, 'Picture of Spatial Growths - Picture with Two Small Dogs' 1920-39
Picture of Spatial Growths - picture with two small dogs

Looking at these I dont get it? Seriously it just seems wrong and while interesting what the hell has it got to do with small dogs.

I can see why people have strong opinion about this DADA movement and the waste or stupid side of it..........I'm I missing the point?  On the positive side I do like the picture frames!


This is the meaning(Spatial Growths/Small Dogs)

This assemblage of discarded rubbish and printed ephemera was begun in Germany in 1920. In 1937, Schwitters fled Nazi Germany and went to Norway, where he added layers of Norwegian material: theatre tickets, receipts, newspaper cuttings, scraps of lace, and a box with two china dogs. The different layers of collage reflect the artist's journey into exile. Schwitters coined the term Merz to describe this form of art, which arranges the detritus of urban civilization in a highly ordered composition.

OH ok then thats it right enough!

I wanted to see how mixed media artists worked but I do feel frustrated by this. My young art mind maybe isn't knowing enough to judge anything just yet.  

After travelling and moving around Schwitter eventually settled in England. In 1945 he moved to Ambleside in the Lake District. In the last months of his life, he began a further Merz construction in an old barn at Langdale. He died at Kendal.

merzbarn1953
Old barn in Langdale.. See source below for more information


See http://www.merzbarn.net/ or http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/kurt-schwitters-1912.


I wanted to look at mixed media as I also tried to use different medias in my work.....Textiles, Ink, Printing, Lino, Drawing and Sewing

mixed of nature wood, leaves, wool and fabric

used filler to add texture for the trees

Fabric scene


All unfinished but I just let my creativeness happen and followed my instinct.. Doing whatever came to mind at the time. It was fun to create something without any idea of the final outcome. In everyday life we have plans, rules, places to be etc. It was good not sticking to an ideal.

A likeness I have to the Dada movement is that it made sense to me and I guess for me thats all that matters.




No comments:

Post a Comment