Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 11 November 2015







Silk Painting
The Serti Technique

The word serti means to enclose or fence an area on the silk using a resist (gutta/outliner) before filling with dye or paint.

This technique sounds very simple and a fun way to get a watercolour style effect on a fabric. I believe that when you apply paint or dye it is quickly absorbed and spreads out as far as it can go. By drawing lines or patterns using resist you are making a barrier on the silk that the paint cannot cross.



The Salt Technique
Image result for Salt effect on silk painting

Silk painting with salt produces amazing effects on the silk. While it is not completely controllable you can choose the areas on the silk where you want the salt to work its magic. The salt soaks up some of the paint around it and crates mottled light and dark patterns. You can use different sized grains but I find coarse salt makes the most dramatic effects.

Wet on Wet Technique

Image result for wet on wet technique silk painting

This technique involves different colours blending seamlessly together. Whilst you have wet paint on your silk add another colour, either on top of the original colour or to the side so they meet. The colours blend and change and compliment each other beautifully. You can add more colours to these and watch as they change shape and become lighter or darker.

I think I would like the wet on wet technique for my works. 


This style is something along the lines I was thinking of.
Another print I love from pin interests........
Image result for silk painting of water
I like this effect and I'd draw and stitch patterns on it
Image result for silk painting cushions
Ink and wash is something I like
Image result for silk painting of water
blurry patterns I do like
this cushion has the idea but its too busy for my own liking
Hand dyed silk can be used in a variety of ways such as pictures, bags, jewellery cushions, lampshades, scarves, ties and cards... To keep my ideas simple and not to add to much I do feel a cushion of maybe 4 designs would be best.. also bookmarks as a smaller buy product.
The silk can be embellished, embroidered and quilted.

Image result for silk embroidery bookmarks
The bookmark I'd like to be simple and made of the same 4 designs     The Haining logo on the bottom corner !The Haining
The pink and green/teal colour of the logo is something I would use in the background or incorporate in the design

Originating from China the ancient art has over 2000 yrs of history behind it. The silk was light weigh and easy to carry and cut. It was luxurious and soft and compared to other materials like wood, stone or bamboo it had a more softly feel and class about it.
These are some of the pictures I took when at The Haining of the plant life.......


I LOVE these sorry souls







  




No comments:

Post a Comment