Powered By Blogger

Saturday 7 November 2015




Bob Ross

Robert Norman "Bob" Ross was an American painter, art instructor, and television host. He was best known as the creator and host of The Joy of Painting. 


Holy hell I just learned the legend BOB ROSS died in 1995.. God bless my friend!:( 
This is now a sincere dedication to the man who was truly original, wacky and in our modern day time should of probably been sectioned after confessing to walking around the woods talking to the trees and the animals..... Quote...Just go out and talk to a tree. Make friends with it.........or ...
We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents!


In fact forget that, all jokes aside here are some quotes that I LOVE.........................

Nature is so beautiful just let go, have fun with it!

Its hard to see things when you're too close, Take a step back and look!

Don't be afraid to make big decisions. Once you start, they sort of just make themselves!

Talent is a pursued interest. Anything you're willing to practice, you can do.



This one I really like as I did say in another blog that I was frightened as I thought I wouldn't be able to do justice to the image I had in my mind.......
YOU CAN CREATE BEAUTIFUL THINGS - BUT YOU HAVE TO SEE THEM IN YOUR MIND FIRST
I see a dark night with fire glowing clouds in the distance, smailholm tower and a Border Reiver coming towards it ....
Clouds I see! big fluffy clouds, maybe I to should go out and speak to them?!!  Make FRIENDS cos lets face it  after my attempt at clouds last week I could do with some help or divine intervention :)

EARLY CAREER
Ross enlisted into the US Air Force at 18 and worked as a medical records technician, eventually rising to master sergeant and first sergeant. Working and serving in Alaska I guess Ross found love for the snow and mountain ranges that this became a theme in his work. Having held a military position and having to shout and scream at the men to keep them in order and to do the duties etc, Ross decided after moving on from the military he would never scream again. This seems true as his voice on the show The Joy of Painting is calm and has a soft manner and sense of ease.


JOY OF PAINTING


Bob had an 11 year run as the host of the Joy of Painting. This consisted largely of Bob demonstrating the wonder of landscape painting in a tranquil studio setting, adding his wisdom, knowledge and his almost whimsical advice.

Ross would use a wet on wet oil painting technique. He would instruct viewers using quick-study techniques on a limited palette of paints, broken down in a step by step process.
He also founded his own successful line of art supplies and how to books. He trained instructors to teach in the Bob Ross method of painting too, building up a business worth $15 million.

                                                     Little wonder the guy smiles right!!

The reason I like the artist was since watching the first show at the age of 11 or so, he played a massive part on the belief of my young mind that given time, practice and encouragement anyone could be an accomplished artist. I guess at the time I wasn't encouraged or believing in myself so much and it has took me nearly another 11 years to start to want to push the limits of what I think I know and what I would like. You get out what you put it they say so here goes my time to create, believe and enjoy My own Joy of Painting.
I will do some Bob Ross tutored paintings and add the outcome on here once finished. 

Watch this space!


making my own liquid white....A wash used over the canvas to seal the surface and make painting easier. Titanium white and raw linseed oil. 

mixing to a thin coat

coulours needed were yellow ochre, burnt sienna, sap green, burnt umber, cadmium yellow, white and black

using a fan brush


cactus at sunset watched but didnt stick to it fully

colour slighty different as wasn't as organised at the beginning.. 


Golden glow of morning watched but again added my own take




taken to the point I could but wanna decide what i can add later incorporating the Border Reivers

Overall I enjoyed taking the time out of my busy life and having time to myself to just paint,, Bob Ross was clear and easy to understand. However, wouldn't recommend having the washing machine spinning in the same room as couldn't hear a thing Ross was saying in the first picture.... hence the fact that I missed him saying I was suppose to cover and tape out the sun...I will keep practicing oil and blending as I do feel its the best way to get the effect I want. Also need a bigger paint palette as mine was too small and needed to load up all the time. Think I'm frightened to use to much paint to and should probably make more up to begin with.







.........................................................................................................................................

1 comment:

  1. This is great Donna. I loved watching Bob Ross also as a teenager. I'd be channel hopping and he'd just draw you in and before you knew it the programme was finished! Amazing work that he made look so easy and I'm sure it isn't!
    Lana

    ReplyDelete