Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 11 November 2015

Evidence for The Haining

Idea for the cushions, bookmarks etc

TIMOROUS BEASTIES

Timorous beasties was established in 1990 by Alistair McAuley and Paul Simmons who met in the Glasgow Textile School of Art. The work embodies a unique diversity of pattern, ranging from damask designs to splatters, drips of blotches..
While I only looked at the cushion on sale the collections include wallpaper, fabric, ceramics lampshades and rugs

splatter design example




Art critic John Ruskin related a universal connection between nature, art and society.
I like the idea of taking nature and bringing it inside.....The wee beastie's that make us squirm in real life when we come across them have been warmed and the beauty and softness of the true animal brought into the home.

For my cushion design I like the idea of nature and creating a soft colourful world of The Haning and Woodland area. I would like to use silk painting and embroidery in my design. The loch at The Haning has been overrun with algae and I had seen signs warning no fishing or swimming.... The algae I could enlarge and print and incorporate into a design. The reflective mirror image the loch has on the lake and trees I would also to create when thinking of the silk printing.... Using the softness of silk with the ugliness and harshness of the algae and wildlife around captures my imagination. 
Pondlife and dragonflies maybe.


This is a cushion I seen in matalan at the cost of £10


Timorous Beasties cushion cost near £60 -£120 

The idea of one print in different colours could save on costs of a really stronger image.... bold cushions and colours could be used like the colours and idea that Fauvism had..........



I would like to visit the shop/factory and see the prints and how its all made. Textiles is a new world to me and the ideas are flying through my mind.... Quality vs Quantity! I'd like to see just how different  the high cost of the Timorous Beasties cushion vs Matalan cheaper one!! 

Have emailed The Haining reguarding The Algae and Pondlife....Wonder what comes back

Got an email back for Lawence Robertson.

 The most abundant phytoplankton in the Haining Loch belong to the blue-green algae group, specifically Oscillatoria species. Other abundant groups are Crytomonas (Cryptophyta) and Dinobryon (Chrysophtya).
Microinvertebrates noted are freshwater shrimp and water boatman. I am not aware of any other survey in detail of the loch or of insects close to the loch. There was a survey of the surroundings done by Sara Eno for The Wildlife Information Centre (TWIC). It might be possible to infer from the plants what insects are likely to be present but I think this would be too much work in the time you have.
I think you would find it useful to contact Liz Douglas a local artist who has done a lot of work based on organisms in loch water and may have taken some samples from the loch. Liz@lizdouglas.co.uk.
I hope this helps and wish you joy in making your work.
Lawrence Robertson
Trustee

I Have now emailed Liz Douglas!
 This is all rather exciting
see my blog Emails and collecting info for updates on this...



No comments:

Post a Comment