Powered By Blogger

Thursday 5 November 2015


Border Reivers 

 Familiar pattern occurring here yet again! What do I know of the Borders Reivers!! Very little!  I'm starting to question what it is I do know about the world around me.....seems very little :(
Soooooo..... thanks to the research of books, internet, class talks and asking friends I have learnt!

The Border Reivers were made up of English and Scottish families or clans. They lived between the 14 century and the late 17th century. At this time the border of England and Scotland was lacking law and order and so cattle rustling, feuding, murder, arson and pillaging were all common occurrences.
Because of the feuding the borders offered little incentive for farming. However, raiding for livestock was a a way of life and a matter of business for border families. This was a simply and accepted way of life and a way of making a living.

Family was important and sometimes the fights between the two divides would be more a loyal war. Scotttish reivers were just as likely to raid others scots. The victims of reiving could be anyone from outside the immediate family.

The Reivers rode small horses called hobblers. The Hobbler was noted for its ability to cover great distances over difficult ground at high speed. I would like to try and draw sketches of these horses and some battle scenes for the poster or banner i have to design.  My idea at this time is to have a dark night sky with clouds, in the distance I'd like to have some arson happening (fire colour reflected in the clouds) then maybe in the front of the picture horse and rider coming up towards Smailholm tower.
The towers like Smailholm were called Pele towers.  Pele towers were a way of warning families of danger of approaching trouble. Some families would of lived at the top of these towers which would have only been accessible with ladders. The ladders would have been lifted away to protect the family for raiders and danger. Also fire torches would tell of dangers coming to the next tower in the distance. Setting off a chain of glowing warning lights.
After a union between England and Scotland in 1503 King James 1 wanted to rid the border of the reivers. The reivers had rebelled against him and James had to face mass raids from Scots trying to brake the new rule that had been set in place. He issued a proclamation against them. All rebels and disorderly persons would be punished or even hanged.
Tensions must of been high for many families as this was a way of life.  I kinda think of it as the olden day equivalent of the coal miners and Thatcher haha.


Googled Thatcher and the coal miners on google images as a source of info
 James decreed the Borders be renamed `The Middle Shires'. 

The battles of Otterburn 1388,  Flodden Field 1513 and Solway moss 1542 are all linked to the Reivers.

Now because of the law many families like the Armstrongs and Grahams were banished to Farmanagh in Ireland. Others were encourage to leave and serve as mercenaries in the armies of continental Europe. Some continued as outlaws and became known a `moss troopers'. 
Peace had arrived in the borders by 1620, possibly for the first time.

I decided after doing some research I'd start to paint some clouds ready for my picture of the dark night and smailholm tower idea.  Now in my head I can see how its set out all lovely, absolute perfection, reflections of the fires burning bright in the night sky, raiders on horseback coming up towards the tower etc
BUT 

Clouds - First battle has commenced - No in fact failure seems to be the only thing that's actually happening here!! Children could probably do a better job!! Am I thinking into clouds to much? How can I possibly take what I see and feel in my head and do it justice? 

The one on black paper is closer than the others but still not the idea I foresee


I can see this becoming very agonising for me and I really don't wanna just give up on it so soon. The image I have is a good strong idea that jumps out at me as to how I see the Border Reivers. 
I'm going to look at different artists and see if I to can work in the same way or medium as one of them......Bob Ross is coming to mind. Good old Bob :) clouds and trees!!


Refer to my Bob Ross blog to see more information on my cloud practices.

Iwant to test the way paints work as I've only ever painted by numbers or with household paint (being a painter and decorator) 

The idea is to paint a horse using the least brush strokes possible but to give a strong image of a horse and rider. I want the mark to give the impression of boldness strength and power. speed and movement.  Because oil is a good thick medium I do feel that this is my best choice. but I did have a go painting with Acrylic.
 I felt that Acrylic was trying to hard. I was like watercolour if thinned with water and a weak oil when used out of the tube. I didn't like it at all. The texture and effect it gives isn't nice and I feel that for me its only good enough for works like painting by numbers or covering background washes for oil. haha. Debates welcome because I may be missing a point but I do feel strongly about this and happy to argue my point!  
putting down a base colour
3 different colours
 I did 3 different colours as not sure if Acrylics work best going dark to light or light to dark

See My Border Reiver book for my thoughts and outcome

Thinking how to create the look of movement. The green horse was just using up my paint as not to waste..I just let the brush make shapes to outline a horse.. Acrylic was patchy and had to load brush, not very free flowing

not a thoroughbred horse we see today.. 
using a palette knife only to do a tower similar to Smailholm... will add details later! Cloud wasnt working so decided to take it out... Brave move to remove something when you had worked at it... However it wasn't working

less cloud


dark image of landscape... againjust seeing what the paint does... Used the linseed mix and I'm worried that it's not the correct mix and won't dry.. Learning practice if not!


This is the image I kinda have in mind but mine I'd like alot darker... So the viewer has to get up close to actually look and see what is happening

I went to this status in Galashiels. Very large I'd say life size to scale. 


This image is a good likeness of how i'd like my Reivers coming up towards Smailholm Tower





2 comments:

  1. Bob Ross needs no introduction..........but for the younger ones needing inspirational guidance I will dedicate an hour or so of my weekend writing and demonstrating the life and works of the 80's permed Jesus! God bless and Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete