Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 30 March 2016

The Final Juice Bar

The Final

So today I started the 10 hour exam....I felt positive from the beginning of this exam because of all the research and effort I'd already but in. 
Out of all the assessments this one so far as been the most fun. The theme Tutti Frutti gave me a good starting point for colours (pinks, oranges, yellows and white). Next looking at different fruits and textures gave me ideas and set my senses wild with smell and taste. I felt I wanted to bring all of this out in my design...Note my workings in my book!



so after doing the counter idea I began to use colour and the pictures I'd taken to add a sense of fun. I wanted to keep in fresh and light while being visually distinctive like the brief had stated...


here you can see I used yellow and pink horizontally to catch your eye but to keep the fresh white. I then stuck photos on silver frames..The silver reflects the light and colours. 


 For one wall I made a menu frame....I wanted it to be able to be changed easily. This I thought would be a good idea because of the seasonal fruits that may change in price or quantity! Special Offers etc....... I used free hand writing as I feel that its a popular modern way of doing menu's. It brings a somewhat organic feel to things!


The outside of the shop for me was important.... I always wanted an open door plan...So customers can call in quickly without having to try and open doors when hands are full of shopping. I really did try and think of the shoppers and customers needs as well as the clients brief. 
The 3D style smoothie cup looks fun and funky. Maybe I'm old but dare I say it looks rather COOL....Or cool is maybe old fashioned, so as the kids say nowadays AWESOME! 
An that's what we what....Kids...Kids to bring the parents in...Parents then feel good cos kids getting part of they 5 a day fruit..... everyone wins.  Then also using the colours to bring in the health and well-being types, the in need of a pick me ups. or the I need to feel good I've put on weight types...Husbands wanting to escape the shops etc... Using typography to bring a fresh and healthy feel into the bar....I used colours to make it appealing to everyone....as close to tacky as possible with a sense of class and fun... 

Maybe a free wifi spot would be a good idea to bring numbers in also!

For the sign I would have Neon Lighting but this was the best way I could create the effect




From the outside you can see how bright and reflective it looks..fresh


I have sprayed the bananas and lemon for the seating designs.


DSC_0475.JPG

The lighting I decided on was spot lighting and strip lighting........ I felt this would give good light and help make the room bright. Also could use different colours in places to change the mood.

Image result for retail spot lighting
spot lighting example notice how the lighting can be aimed at certain areas to highlight or add colour




I took some foam board and measured out the places the light would go. I then basically stuck a 6" nail through it and sprayed some hole strenghting spots onto every space to add effect. I put organza strip of white/silver to show strip lights. so you'd get the idea.


lighting example


 I had put the acetate on the light box when trying examples for a logo design...I then used editing to create different effects.

 these tests did help me get the end results...by trying mixing colours together and overlapping.....

End result being the straw and splashes of the Tutti Frutti sign.




I feel this is working out well and my ideas have finally came together..... From start to finish I really did try not to make the mistakes from previous assessments, like over thinking and over working an idea.  I kept looking at what was expected of the designer and referencing the brief..
The research I looked at like Jeff Koons, Christine Boland, Zaha Hadid, Formkind, Banksy and Olafur Elisson have brought me some fantanstic ideas and I know I will use these artists again over time. (see book)

I did find the fact that they was no constraints and the Juice Bar could be as wacky or as plain as I wanted it was difficult....as long as I kept it fun fresh with a taste of a healthy lifestyle incorporated. I had to quickly decide what I did want and for me this wasn't easy. I like to know....No I need to  know as I like it to be precise and know exact details.... I like detail and its a strong backbone...I feel I work better with fact and I would of like scale and measurements etc.... The very fact it was up to me was in a way difficult. Which for many it would of been the other way around! 
I have learnt that I cant control everything doing this plan and it has helped me realise I'm maybe a little uptight and should relax more and have fun with details.... Some of the best pieces of this brief have come about without really trying.

The photos I took of the fruit I was also pleased with...I'm glad I could use them in my final design.  Something I never set out to do at the beginning..... (at the beginning I wanted effect and lighting but Ive achieved this without all the pyrotechnics) Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best..

I also found the editing fun, using the negative edit and changing the hue and enhancing, high lighting etc

I do need however to dare to go into the world of computers and use things like photoshop etc. I feel this would help me achieve better results overall...But I also enjoy being old school and taking the time to play around with ideas.

For the form and function part I did think about the staff and the space needed for storage... working next to one another and how easily cleaning the areas would be.  The back room was something I felt was important thing to note and show.  I'm not sure how important a customer toilet is as they are toilets set out all over a shopping mall and feel that this isn't for me to worry about..Again didn't state!I did think of the customers coming and gong easily but also without being able to sit and relax to long...Shopping Mall get alot of youths in groups and wouldn't want them to sit for hours without buying... so feel sitting area would suit this idea.

The flooring I looked at B&Q....at a cost £24.08 covering 1.72 sq.m...... I picked white distressed oak effect... it did state it was suitable for all things being splash proof, underfloor heating, and all areas of a house....Not sure how good for a busy retail retail outlet... Im happy as an overall idea thought....




Here are some images from my book. I loved all the colour and how packed it is. The variety and fun of it all.







Going to try and work on my mood board now and write my overall thoughts in my book. But you can see my results this far..
mood board so far


No comments:

Post a Comment