Powered By Blogger

Thursday 9 May 2019

u again... Emin

Ahhh, what can I say! Here we go again, another connection to the work by Emin. I used to/or wanted to dismiss Emin's work years ago. I don't know why I'd have to look back at past blogs to remember exactly.  But here I am creating my diary and guess what, Emins work is again resonating with me once again.

  

Birds - 70 bronze life-size sculptures that have been perched on lamp posts, sills, awnings along a busy buisness district in Sydney.  At the end of the street/park the birds culminate at a large stone bird bath that's inscribed with the name of the artwork The distance of your heart.

The work isn't just about the birds nature but about distance and being away from loved ones or places of importance. The idea was to slow down the fast paced lifestyles and play a small part in making people smile. Many people she wrote think of birds as a connection to past loved ones or one of spiritual kindness in times of need. To stop and be in the moment appreciating the tiny birds for what they are.


While my own work doesn't resemble sculptures etc it does have the same reflective nature of the bird being important in the sense of being gentle, spiritual, meaningful, delicate and fragile. The same characteristics I feel about my mind, being a mother and enjoying the journey or struggles I seem to have always had.   I had the idea of bringing my past struggles and deconstructing them as a way of getting rid of them finally. To be able to move on, to be reborn with a deeper understanding of myself but without the weight of my past. To rise above adversities and be free to explore new beginnings and hope like never before.  Bird symbolism represents your extravagant and intricate thoughts, something I also have in abundance.

The old diary I burnt (because fuck I've tried every other way to get rid of these burdens of my past) The saying earth to earth, ashes to ashes came to mind as the end of something. However, I know the memories will never truly leave me but by burning them and putting the ashes into my plaster eggs I feel that the fire will take away the negative energy  sending them back to the so called pits of hell. crazy I know, but I'm happy to be crazy if it helps. sounds like good fun to... pits of hell... aka plant pot in back garden..









Like the fact I've collected two old birds boxes I'd found on two separate occasions. Why pick up, carry and bring home these rotten pieces of wood. Good for nothing I know but the compulsion to have them was something I cant explain fully. I liked that they were home to something, a safe haven, important and had a story behind them. The old wood for me was interesting and had character. At the time I didn't know or care what I would use them for. Now the question has been answered atleast for one of them.




When I get the urge or compelling need to pick something trashy up it isn't about the object, its about the noticing of something I like or admire, then the journey and physicality of actually carrying the object. connection in the time taken and the energy (especially big objects) of carrying it home. its a process and I think people judge or don't think about this enough. The act of doing, or doing for no reason what so ever. Just because! Nature or natural

Tree branch below


I remember carrying a tree branch down thru the forest and I was hoping to god I wouldn't see another soul because I would have felt ashamed or crazy. What the fuck does she want that for etc, but I did it anyway and told myself to believe in the unknown, the bigger picture etc. For someone who needs facts and figures, explanations and reassures this was a massive step of enlightenment.

Hell I've brought back half a forest lately.  Most rotten or just found in the wood floor.





That just the small pieces.. haha such a lot of time spend... but the happiness times I've probably spend this year. I enjoy the outside.. nature does help this tired mind.


I think in truth I dont wanna relate to Emins work it the fact that it's to close for comfort with my own lifestyle or past.. the rape as a teen, the sex and displays, the foul language and frustration and the paths well took. The despair and forgiveness that's needed to be looked into and accepted.  Maybe just maybe she does indeed give me fear of confrontation.  That until now I was ignorant of. But you have to confront these things in order to get peace and understanding. All the things that at some point couldn't  or disnt makes sense to you at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment