Powered By Blogger

Friday 29 September 2017

Gerhard Richter (colour/photos)

Gerhard Richter

Overpainting - Photography



  

1990 50 cm x 60 cmOil on gelatin silver print
I've been taking snaps of my life/drive to college for a topic regarding street photography. I found the images rather boring in all honesty and this made me think of ways I could connect them with the world of college and my art. What does it matter? Well I'd took the time to take the images and thought of how precious my time is. I had thought that the snaps could make a nice image to cover my workbooks or sketch books. I could stick them down to add colour and interest to something that maybe is the mundane or plain like a normal sketch book.

Why did Richter do overpainting of his paintings?

I found out after watching https://www.gerhard-richter.com/datadir/videos/m4v/20.m4v, that the photographs had been snaps he had took himself and then after creating an abstract canvas he'd dip the photograph into the oil paint to see what was produced. Kinda like a monotype print. Some of the marks were very thick and some vein like. The colours were of many shades and I wondered if colour was thought about when deciding which picture he would dip. Did he just leave it to chance?


This image has the primary colours and is bold.  I feel this is pulling the older image into the future.


This image I feel has more of a Analogous Colors underneath, with the grey tones on top and the direction of the printed paint I think it gives a sense of speed and movement which is interesting.


This image is more monochromatic and it is very much a mix of two very different designs. The top is modern and very photo like the bottom is abstracted and I cant help but see a war sense trapped in history in the way the paint had been dipped and pulled upwards. the light in the ceiling does move the eye around the image and the angle of the grey/brown brings the eye across and down to the bottom. I really like this image and I think for me is speaks of hope and humble beings.

What does the colour theory said of this ?

Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect. Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness. In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.

 White means safety, purity, and cleanliness. As opposed to black, white usually has a positive connotation. White can represent a successful beginning. In heraldry, white depicts faith and purity.

Dark red is associated with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath.

Brown suggests stability and denotes masculine qualities.

So I guess thinks in these colour meaning do identify with the things I thought - leadership, courage, calmness  masuline quailites, vigor. piety.


another sense of speed I feel here. almost hurried and of importance


Here the way the paint is covering I feel panic and smothered like its taking my breath away....


This one I think is calming and makes me think of friends and a sunny day. I like the nature feel and it has a natural order of community and leadership and love


This one while similar as the above image has a different feel to it, like a trapped caged presence. The way the dark red comes in and around the main picture creating bars and box features. The  orange and blue being complementary do jump against each other but are so small they dont overpower the image. The dark red is sickly against the blue I feel and think its to do with the tones.

 Dark orange can mean deceit and distrust

Dark red is associated with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath.

Brown suggests stability and denotes masculine qualities.

Reddish-brown is associated with harvest and fall.

The two images look like they could of been taken on the same day but the top makes warmer tones with the colours added given a sense of happier and healthier feelings. The second is more autumn and moody. I do like how he has taken very normal snaps and they have turned out so much more interesting. I'm not sure I would of given any of the photos as much attention as I have today. Maybe that is something to think about and try with my colour theory and my normal boring images.

No comments:

Post a Comment