Powered By Blogger

Friday 8 September 2017

The enviroment (1st thoughts)

So brief states

  • produce artwork through exploring 
  • experiment with new and existing media
  • evaluate work
  • know the best media for topics
  • demonstrate the creative potential
Show a minimum of four examples.

First we got into small groups and discussed what we thought "The Environment" meant to each of us. After doing a mind map we came up with a number of things.

NATURE - animals, alive/dead, habitats, peoples humanitarian affects
SITUATIONAL - work space, homes, friends, solution, recycling
ENVIRONMENTAL-  deforestation, produce/chemicals, over population, green house gases, insecticides.

Something I always struggle with is WHERE TO START?

Keeping my ideas of a personal nature is usually when my art and expressive nature are at they strongest, with this in mind the history of my home town Esh Winning came back to my mind.  The last few visits, I've been on many walks going back to the places I played as a child etc, the streams and rivers don't run as much anymore and the becks are filled with rubble and trash. It was here that I noticed just how many red bricks had gathered in the beds and embankments.  Years ago, they fired the bricks in fields, then taken them by rail or road to the places relevant. It made me wonder how some many bricks had traveled down the little streams ?

The age old red bricks for me had a nostalgic sense and I couldn't help but want to  pick them up and bring them home. WHY? I'm not sure! It really was a powerful sense of something I cant explain. So much so I had spoken to my brother about doing this. He laughed and said that if I wanted bricks he could get me any amount of them.  I knew it wasn't the same and he was missing the point. These bricks had history and purpose once, character and in some way knowledge that stood the test of time. These bricks to me were special. (crazy I know)

Where and what to do with these bricks. I had thought of making a planter taking home to my home so to speak. Thing is do they belong to me or my own space? No I don't think they do. I think that they would be better suited to the environment they have found themselves in. Brick men sculptures.

Men built these bricks so I thought making the bricks into men could remind people of the history of the villages. A sense of pride and remembrance, tradition etc.

I searched the internet for brick men, apart from lots of Lego hits and pictures of bricks I found this.

Welcome to the work of Anthony Gormley


Image result for antony gormley  Image result for antony gormley

Also has a history with working in the north-east... Angel of the north.


Brilliant and what I had pictured myself








looking at them again they don't look so exciting, but I also think it gives them a characteristic of history and the past.


Now I have a finishing point I now need to go back to the beginning and look at form, techniques and development of my ideas.  I know I will struggle to do things in a order that is helpful but I feel it is important to remember what is being asked of me and keep to a tight brief.

Things I could consider are

  • medium, pencil, wire, plaster, paint
  • form, texture, shape, perspective, colour, anatomy 
  • paper making, modroc, cement, compound
  • Leanardo Da Vinci, Anthony Gormley



Image result for human anatomy drawing







No comments:

Post a Comment