Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 26 September 2017

Modroc cancer cast! (E)

Environment

explore it said!

So last week I had a little go at paper making and it gave me the wanting to create a jumper. The paper in question had fibre's in it and it had a nice soft touch. The way the fibre was presented gave a holy look and I liked that when you held it against your skin you could see the skin. The creamy colour with the flesh gave an organic feel. 

A jumper, a paper jumper..... Well my lovely mind began to play out the idea of this and for days I couldn't help but think of things and ways to create this idea. Not like I would wear it anyway! The fashion world does not wow me and while I do like texture and textiles I've no idea what even goes into making a jumper, knit or item of any sort. 

A cast could be a starting point and I began to look back at the ideas for brick men. The shape and size of the human body, this made me again remember how fragile my aunt looked a couple of weeks ago. A shell of the women she was. 

I always seem to link my art world with what is playing on my mind at the time. Cancer! The big C..... The fight and the power it has,  tiny cells changing and morphing.  I found wonderful and some what beautiful colours in my searching regarding the cancer cells 

Image result for cancer cells

Looking at the cells under a electron microscope


Image result for cancer cells

Image result for cancer cells

Image result for cancer cells

What is not to admire with nature here. 

My idea became so exciting. I was left buzzing with wanting to make and create a cast of a body/ bodies. Using the fibre paper - soft fragile monochromatic,  kind of skin like sculpture. With these wonderful biomorphic shapes threaded inside, pulsing and dancing with vibrant colour.

I'd done a cast with hand for another subject and wondered if a modroc cast could be used as a template for my paper cast. Lets see what happens! Explore 




some editing with hue and negative and the cast looks different

I have also thought about shape and form. This hand made with wire isn't the best but it was a quick reference point to my beginning of observational researching. 






Again another lets see what happens, this time with string/cotton wrapped around fingers etc.






Above image I'd like to sew and incorporate an image with, maybe a hand in detail 


This time I've done my own leg, trouble is with only one layer of modroc its not really setting hard enough to cut off and I'm left sitting in a cold cast, wondering if I'm slightly insane haha... Might have to break my own ankle to slide this one off... I do now feel sorry for those who have had to have a cast.





I've really had fun thinking up ideas and I'm really excited about the idea of this work. Can I execute my ideas? ~ If my leg cast is anything to go by well lets just say I'll need some good old luck.

Pin interest ideas below


Gill Wilson produces handmade paper using natural plant fibre as the raw…
cells?


 Lindsey Beal, Photo and Paper Artist

A Gathering, detail, Susan Warner Keene, handmade flax

karen margolis art | Paper creations by Karen Margolis | Art and Sketches

| @andwhatelse

Make a Ferrocement Stone Face | Ultimate Paper Mache


1 comment:

  1. Donna, Make sure to use vaseline on your skin if life casting...do a top cast(draw a line along your leg etc) then a bottom cast, that way you can let it set hard and you don't have to cut anything!

    ReplyDelete