Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 10 May 2016

Portfolio overview for research task 1 (developing an art and design portfolio)


Portfolio looking back over a year,

So I was to review and look at different artist's. Research the different characteristics of a paper-based and digital portfolio.

Over the period of a year, I got a chance to meet some local artist's.  The first artist I had the chance to meet was Sam Cornwall (see blog Sam Cornwall) He brought in an old style camera for us to look at and also some plates on photography. He linked his talk with the internet on the whiteboard and incorporated his presentation with some images. I feel that this was an effective and easy way for showcasing a talk to a larger group of people. The mix of whiteboard and real life images kept us interested and involved. This made it easy for Sam to quickly access him work but also a great way to transport it.

Humprey Weightman was a Graphic Designer(see blog H/W) who came into to class to talk about his work in Graphic Design. His talk was very much more traditional in the sense he brought a lot of heavy books and leaflets as examples for us to view.  While his work was a great talk and he showed great enthusiasm, I think that he could of incorporated most if not all on the computer. I didn't understand what he was talking about at the time as I was new to the typeface, fonts, spacing and set up of Graphic Design. However, looking back he gave a good way of interacting with a large group. He did waffle on a bit so by having his talk set out on a computer this could of saved him time and kept his audience interested.
Here are only two examples of portfolio's and two very different ways of showcases your work. One stronger than the other. This shows me already that I must think about Digital content as well as paper-base example when doing a talk or exhibition that involves a talk.

I when to two museums and looked at the way they displayed the different pictures, sculptures  etc, the paintings were all displayed in frames and had good lighting. At the side of each picture was a plaque detailing the artist, year, with a brief description.





This works very well and I guess with all the different artist's it has to be simple and easy to access and read. I think my own portfolio could benefit from a clean well set out display like this.  Our work will have a different set up and a smaller scale to work from so I think I will have to choose my work carefully so it doesn't look over crowded.

Caitlin Steele (see blog Caitlin Steele) had two very little portfolio's when she came to give a presentation. This didn't give a less of an impact though, Her work was neat and the images had a description in the back of them. Her images were strong and not mounted but slipped into a folder.

We will be displaying a range of our work from the whole year, so to think about contrast in colour and set up will be important. The arranging of illusion to move the viewers eye around my work would be a great benefit. This could help them to remember all my work rather than just one piece. To keep it clean and neat. (a white background could help) A selection on display and holder.

Charlotte Miller  (see blog Charlotte Miller) also talked about keeping all of our work when it came to the end of the year exhibition. She had lost or misplaced some of her own stuff and felt frustrated when she needed it at the time of interviews for college/uni. Charlotte's portfolio was an interesting mix of work. She had put together canvases, photographic and life drawing in her work. This showed a different level and idea on her varied ability. Another thing to consider.

Cara a student in the same class as me, showed me here portfolio today, she displayed her images in a folder/jotter and a larger A1 holder.  In the holder she had a work name Witch Craft which had very detailed sketches of Life Drawing set up's. Her annotation was also detailed and the work came across as interesting and neat. Cara interests are in illustrations and figures, you can see from her work that she has a lot of sketches. Some in different mediums which again demonstrates ability. Overall Cara has thought about her set up and favorite images and I feel it works well. A lot of illustrative drawing which shows her interest in this subject.







Most online portfolio's I looked were neat and tidy. They had drop boxes that gave you more options when you clicked on them. David Baileys work was of landscapes, portraits and other corporate work he'd done.  It was mostly photography and not much written work, which you'd expect I guess being a photographer. He did have a section named, about...... which is something you don't really see in a paper-based portfolio. David's one I thought had sounded as though he had it written for him, about him which I felt took a personal touch away for the reader.

Ansel Adams was another I looked at online, the page for me was very business like and was more about the sale than the personal touch of the imagery. While the pictures he takes are good it does seem very American business type feel to it and a busy overall look. The links were easy to access but again the price tag jumped out at you... Sell Sell Sell.....This for me spoilt the feel of the artist and it lost his personality.

I did look at other artist's on my blog I've written bits on them, please see Francesco Tonelli who's website was very visual and made me interested to read more. The photography itself made me hungry it looked so good. He had everything on his site, from photography, menus, books, the published work he'd done and packaging and together it was set out well and worked. The bio gave a personal touch and the whole thing was fun and colourful. Unlike that of the work of Baileys plain website.  The two are very different and I guess both work. Baileys work is simplistic, while colour and bold images of food is a something of a must that adds to Tonelli's site.

For me a portfolio should depend on the exhibition or people who will be viewing it.  I think that it should be updated regularly so it is in keeping with the times. The artist should give a personal touch to the set up and think of the audience it is intended.  I do think a using online tools could help for a prompt or something that requires a time scale, sure as slides.  A small sketch book or holder and a record of work you have done in the past that you can assess quick would be a handy thing to think about when storing your work both online or at home. having stored work on different formats could be a n advantage when it came to selling/showcases work, work build into your laptop, on a memory stick, in a book style holder, or accessible on a website.

Organisation and planning I think is key and knowing your audience, feature or intention. For some hiring someone else to set up a website works, but for me as a student it wouldn't be necessary.

See also blog, Hockney Joiners, Garry Winogrand, Linda Lovett, David Cass, # dak 01 and my museum talks 1 and 2.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment