Powered By Blogger

Saturday 21 May 2016

Importance of Display

Victoria and Albert Museum

I've been looking at the importance of creating an exhibition. 
I found this on being a curator




As well as looking at exhibitions I looked installations.... 

The Tate website is gives a good example/description..... 

Introduction to installation art

Installation artworks (also sometimes described as ‘environments’) often occupy an entire room or gallery space that the spectator invariably has to walk through in order to engage fully with the work of art. Some installations, however, are designed simply to be walked around and contemplated, or are so fragile that they can only be viewed from a doorway, or one end of a room. What makes installation art different from sculpture or other traditional art forms is that it is a complete unified experience, rather than a display of separate, individual artworks. The focus on how the viewer experiences the work and the desire to provide an intense experience for them is a dominant theme in installation art.

As artist Ilya Kabakov said:

The main actor in the total installation, the main centre toward which everything is addressed, for which everything is intended, is the viewer.

See this link ........

http://www.tate.org.uk/learn/online-resources/glossary/i/installation-art

I feel the interaction of this installation is great. I enjoyed listening to the process the artist has took after leaving college, taking her work forward,  the progression and reinventing of her work over time....





The best art exhibitions in London


Strange and Familiar
 (Tristan Fewings)
 (© Tristan Fewings/ Getty Images)


Vogue 100


 (© Vogue, courtesy National Portrait Gallery, London)

 (© Vogue, courtesy National Portrait Gallery, London)

 Emotional Supply Chain

 (© Simon Denny. Courtesy the artist and PS1, New York. Photo: Pablo Enriquez.)
Grayson Perry..




So while most works are on a blank white background, not all are. What is it that I intend?

Show and Tell; the do's and don'ts (www.artnews.com)

  • What are the expectations of the visitors? Interests and sophistication of the visitors.
  • Don't treat yourself as a dead artist
  • Have some work on a projector or slide show.......then a binder/folder for the more curious viewer
  • Selection - less is more
  •  negative feedback can have its uses. 
  • gets people thinking in new ways. You go out of a conversation like that feeling energized.”
  • avoid multiple images which are very similar to each other
  • it never hurts to get a second (or third, or fourth!) opinion
  • quality is more impressive than quantity
  • each piece should represent an element of your artistic practice which is relevant
So with this been said I have to narrow down my work. My work I'm not really excited about so that should be easy. A couple of Life Drawing, Photo's either on show or on slideshow and my logs....My Deception and log work turned out to be the real connection, in the whole year I was happy with the end result. While I've learn a lot about artist's and indeed myself, The end results of most of my works weren't to a standard I was truly happy with. To exhibit any of it, well I really don't feel its good enough nor representational of me.

After watching a Tracey Emin video in college, got me thinking about my exhibition. With my lacking of self-worth in my art it had me thinking of other ways artist display works.

Ironically, The Ready-Mades of Marcel Duchamp that I didn't like or relate to in the beginning of the course are now making sense. Emin's bed started me thinking of my own morning ritual, I have a dresser that I stand in front of every morning to get ready. For the last year (longer) of doing this course my dresser has been the starting point of my day. Every college class started here. Its is as symbolic to this course and I am. Upon the dresser itself is all the stuff I use daily. (not only me but the children have also taken this space on they morning ritual). That in its self could record an interesting story/video of our life and transformation over a period of time. To actually record us getting our faces on each day!

Another interactive idea I had thought of was to install my dresser in a room.... For myself to enter the room as I do every morning, then to get ready as normal. More of a scene in a play than an actual art. To dry my hair and get my clothes on,  do my make up etc......For the viewer to participate in the moment I could stop at certain poses and have a signal for the viewer that the moment to draw. An interactive Life Drawing Class so to speak. Mapping my movements, other objects, shapes and stances.  (I know right) haha


Image result for tracey emin bed

While this isn't something that I will or could do with this exhibition, it is something that grabs my attention more.  God I hate to think of the weird and wonderful ideas I come up with in the next few years.....

For me I find the whole adventure so far is a real turning point. The art I liked at the beginning is now something that I still appreciate, like the old great artist of the renaissance, the monet's and picasso's. Now I've had the chance to question what it is that I like.  The more I see and identify with other movements the more I can relate to ideas. At the time I may not think much of the work and have in the past thought of many pieces as pointless. Oh the naivety!

1 comment:

  1. Sounding very much like you have caught the art bug!

    ReplyDelete