Powered By Blogger

Friday 6 May 2016

Photograpy Overview(P)

Photography Overview

In my eyes I have learn't that they is no good or bad photo depending on the intention. The intention of a photo for any photographer in its self is reason enough to take a snap..... Even if you do just hold up a camera and click the intention is there!

From the beginning of Photography people have wanted to capture the now, either to document or cherish or simply to discover or achieve.

So what is it that can help make what some artist's call "a good picture"

  • composition
  • imagination
  •  contrast
  • perspective
  • lighting
  • depth of field
  • pattern
  • narrative
 FOCUS, that is another thing all photographers have in common.

I've referenced some photographers in my blog already. David Bailey for his new take on fashion and creating a new and fun way to take an interesting pose of a model in yet another pretty dress. He opened up the way for our magazines to breath in a new and exciting approach...





When I looked at Vogue magazine in the library I noticed that a lot of the models weren't centered to the middle of the picture and were in fact in a range of different composition's.

 This let the reader/me wander around the pages with ease and I think that a good photographer must have an intention to do this when planning out a shoot... This technique can be used on many photos, converging lines gives a strong sense of perspective and three-dimensional depth, drawing you into an image. Curved lines can lead you on a journey around the frame, leading you towards the main subject.


My example of converging line
not a great example but a curving line taking the eye into the picture


up and out the door curve
10 rules of photo composition (and why they work)



Ansel Adams was another artist I looked at... For me his work seemed a difference from the Bailey's style of photography. His work seemed more like fine art rather than Bailey's portrait's or travel photographs of Papua......Adams did work mainly in black and white and his work is really detailed.  I think Baileys work seems more fun and colourful.  Adams work is very just and the contrast and perspective in his world for me speaks wonders......
Image result for papua photography david bailey
Bailey

















Image result for ansel adams Image result for ansel adams photography
Adams












An understanding of Depth of field is also important when doing a landscape photo.  I found that my phone on auto focus did just focus on the centre images, which was fine.... But I found that when I intended to capture the foreground it had to be pointed at the image more to auto focus on it.

I haven't learned enough or played around with a real camera to know exactly works best with this. but it will be something I will consider thinking about on my next photography outcome. Garry Winogrand and the way he capture moving life is probably more suited to an auto-focus! A quick snap that has no time to adjust on movement.... A montage effect or shutter speed could also play an interesting effect here.Note my David Hockney blog for more on photo montage.

Overall I'm starting to join the dots with photography. I do feel that the types of different photography are interlinked and has similarities in many ways. Ive spoke about photo-documentation and differences in other blogs. It alot to think about and I find it hard to find the correct terminology when talking about effects etc. I with have to learn as I go I think. But for now I will be happy just looking and snapping. editing and feeling/finding something that interests me.










No comments:

Post a Comment