Powered By Blogger

Sunday 18 December 2016

Paula Rego (f/a)




Paula Rego

For my part of looking at six different artists I have chosen Paula Rego...... I did this by heading to the artist section at the college library. As I looked through the books I felt I had wanted something unusual......Having children myself the prints Rego's done in the style of Nursery Rhythms jumped out.


Image result for paula rego nursery rhyme etchings  Image result for paula rego nursery rhyme etchings Paula Rego, lithograph illustration for Nursery Rhymes:  Image result for paula rego nursery rhyme etchings

Doing a printmaking brief I could appreciate the works a little more than just unusual sketches. Looking at another book I liked the way her painting style was childlike and grotesque....again different to your usual artists like the other great (Monet, Gogh) in the art section.

We are to look at another artist and to do a copy of the process and medium they use to the best of our ability.  I choose the work because I like the black lines around the figures and the amount of stuff happening in the pictures.....  Image result for paula rego collage


At first I didnt know what to draw, but I had been feeling a couple of things and decided I would try and tap into these as a starting point. While private and I probably cant say a few of these, One thing that did come out was the ego and alter ego's that some artist's putt into they pictures...Rego had done this by creating characters in are work as a way to express frustration of an indivual etc.... Dog lady, monkeys and rabbits etc.

I did take photos of my work which I will add once back at college on Tuesday.....





I thought about myself and soon came up with my alter ego could be that of a leopard.... a little bit flirty but strong and independent.... If you haven't seen a female leopard engage with a male I suggest you do........Its erotic and fun, it seems every time the male finishes he bites the back of her neck..... nasty and I like it haha..... I can see myself definitely a leopard with this in mind.

Apart from the sexual likeness they was something else I had towards the animal.  I just this moment thought about the dreams of freud and wondered what it would have regarding a feeling or meaning about the leopard....

  Leopard is reminding you that there is always a period of rebirth after a period of suffering and death on some level. This big cat is the healer of deep wounds and will bring old issues to resolution through the reclaiming of power that was lost during the time of the wounding. He is reminding you that you have many resources, skills, capabilities, inner resources and patterns available to you that will allow you to do a broad range of tasks at will. These resources can be physical, mental, psychic, emotional and spiritual.

Alternatively this cat is letting you know that you need to accept your own spots and use them as your own strengths. Stop hiding because of your own perceived weaknesses. You have the power and the strength to accomplish everything you dream of. You simply have to believe, have faith and find the right path. Persistence is the keyword.

I find the link between where I am in my learning and what it actual says to be correct.... funny that isn't it!

Rego herself made work with links to other artist'... One being Diego Velazquez.
Image result for The Fitting paula rego
the fitting
Image result for Joseph's Dream paula rego
Joseph's dream


Image result for las meninas de picasso
Diego Velázquez.

Here I found Picasso also studied Velazquez work.....Picasso really does have a connection with every art movement or artists.... Finger in every pie !!! Bit like georgie porgie nursery rhythm he kissed many a girl also.

Las Meninas is a series of 58 paintings that Pablo Picasso painted in 1957 by performing a comprehensive analysis, reinterpreting and recreating several times Las Meninas by Diego Velázquez.


                                             

Image result for las meninas de picasso
3

I found working in an others style did give me another way of looking and trying out techniques I maybe wouldn't have.  I felt frustrated at the same time as I feel my ability to get what images I foresee in my mind, to be good enough when on paper. I can't seem to execute it.... I think this is because I dont plan out any work or practice things before my final picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment