Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 21 November 2017

evaulation - expressive

Expressive Drawing

Well what can I say, this exercise has helped to let me have the freedom to try many different approaches with regards to drawing.

What do I think expressive meant to me - well fast movement, quick heavy lines and form.  So we got life drawing - a still subject. We got to draw each other - again still.. How do you make it expressive?

I think for me the quicker 20 sec or 30 sec sittings help to free up my hand and eye to be confident to make a mark. Some of my hand 20 sec ink drawing give a great sense of form and perspective.

I've added this to my 7



Next I selected an hour drawing in pencil. It was a still life drawing of a lady lying down. I choose it in my 7 because I think I thought about the shape form and perspective. In parts I rubbed out and started to do over and over again. I think I began to learn about foreshortening which I think has been beneficial to my overall learning. 


The next image I chose was the women leaning forward. Again it was for me a learning surprise at how when I first made contact with the paper, I was worried. As I continued to draw the bits I didn't think worked actually ended up being the stronger features... They made the direction of the back etc. The only thing is I feel like the figure is floating.


The next ones I chose were the mono print ink sketches.  For me the direction and pattern of the figure can create a sense of movement to a still life. I think the dark colour against the light can suggest an idea of movement.


This exercise helped me to think about the background of an image. However, I ran out of time with regards to adding backgrounds on this one. I may take this forward into my colour/painting theme however.

I've added this texture drawing just to show a more detailed way of expression.


Ive added this to show quick informational sketches.


I've learned that expressive can mean much more than just speed drawing.  It can be a feeling or subject, pattern, suggestion, a wash, highlight, light and many more. I have realised the importance of looking at other artists and sometimes doing a copy of their work can help to give a sense of how or why the artist did what they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment