Powered By Blogger

Monday 21 January 2019

Marc Chargill - Source of inspiration(printmaking and others in general)

Looking at the artist Chargill as I feel at this moment in time some relation to his work. The bringing together of man, animals and scene is something I'd like to bring out of me. Chance, happenings and just everyday life seems mixed up with fact, fiction and a fast paced movement of the now. Im overwhelmed at times and want to bring all these senses together on one page.

To be able to touch and grab at a sensory element of my thoughts and feelings.   The colour of the painting below David and Absalom gives me a sympathetic feeling and I can't help but be drawn in by the colours. I find the way it makes me feel shouldn't be one of sadness or sympathy because of the bold colour palette and yet the feeling is there all the same. They is a softness and sadness that touches my senses and makes me empathetic.



David and Absalom


I've been doing some mono prints lately after having a vision of the Taurus or bull one night. While it was Picasso that really related and studied the Minotaur I like the fact how Chargill also sets a scene with expressive dreamy quality.




You can see the Fauvist and Cubist elements in these works. His understanding of how colour palettes sit together is strong and complex I think. He makes the images seem easy and I think this is where the real magic happens for me. 



How wonderful is the above image. The intense colour and bringing together of a memory or of life in the moment. So modern and filled with life and movement. Its said to be a pull and feeling of divided loyalties between the love of Paris and the missing of Russia This all brought together in one scene.

I do feel a strong pull to continue with a work of chargrill nature. I just haven't been inspired to do anything lately. the reading into my thoughts and feeling I do feel will however serve me well later down the line. I think it all may come together for my end of year project.


Sources of info :

https://www.theartstory.org/artist-chagall-marc.htm
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/marc-chagall-881
Google images - Marc Chargall


No comments:

Post a Comment