Powered By Blogger

Sunday 8 January 2017

Day Out EDINBURGH

SO I TOOK A TRIP TO EDINBURGH TODAY.

Looking back at my day I feel while I enjoyed my visit to the galleries I didn't have the same emotional connection I'd felt on previous visits.

National Gallery

Waller Hugh Paton

Waller Hugh Paton, Entrance to the Cuiraing, Skye (1873)

This was the first picture that I felt worthy of being written in my notebook of specials. I love how detailed and lifelike the image was.. The highlights of the horizon was something else to.

I also noticed that many of the artists this time around I'd never heard of many of them.

Image result for francois baron gerard marie laetitia

The above by Francois Baron Gerard had me mesmerised at the detail and workmanship that must of when into the work. Beautiful

Giovanni Tiepolo - The Meeting of Anthony and Cleopatra (About 1747)

What girl wouldn't want to be an Egyptian goddess

Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, The Meeting of Anthony and Cleopatra (About 1747)



Cezanne The Big Trees

Maybe a style of early cubism here and I like this way of painting... I would like to be able to work in a similar style
Paul Cezanne, The Big Trees (About 1902 - 1904)

I like the movement he's created. It felt unusual to me.

Next to the Cezanne was Van Gogh's Olive Trees which I wrote at the time made me feel sickly.


Vincent van Gogh, Olive Trees (1889)

Edouard Vuillard

Again usual style that I feel was genius and the marks he only suggests parts of the whole . Loved it.
I wrote, The open window, light effects colour and idea or a mark.

Edouard Vuillard, La Chambre rose [The Pink Bedroom] (About 1910 - 1911)

Alexandre Calame


Image result for alexandre calame the river lutheran

The detail in the rocks again were so real.

Thomas Fearnley

Image result for thomas fearnley national gallery scotland

Sebastiano Ricci

Christ leading the Blind - Beautiful

Image result for sebastiano ricci Christ leading the blind

Jean Greuze

Boy with lesson book

Image result for Jean Greuze boy with a lesson book

El Greco

Saviour of the world

Image result for El Greco the saviour of the world

I also looked at work by Ian Fleming (etching and drypoint) Which I thought I would look into later on.

Things I wrote down - sought to go beyond the world of visible reality... Think this was about surrealism and the Dali, exploding head. I liked the description and thought about using it on my work or essay.

Next I went to the modern galleries. I was left a little disappointed at this one.

I didn't like the works by Karla Black or Kishio Suga

I get the fact that the works were in a space and demanding the area or your attention. I also understand that a work doesn't have to mean anything and stuff. An idea or thought can product enough or an emotion as much as a work. But well I didn't like and that's ok too.

Karla's work was a combination of cellophane, sellotape, cotton-wool, talc, eye shadow, ribbon and stuff. Interestingly, the cellulose plastics come from the same cotton-seed as the cotton-wool comes from.









Kishio Suga








The portrait Gallery was the hidden gem for me. The building and architecture were enough alone to attract my attention.






Diego Aznar Insomnia
Image result for three oncologists ken currie
ken currie


Image result for silence bo wang
silence Bo Wang
Image result for william neukomm katrina
willian neukomm

Image result for william neukomm katrina
Fiona Graham-Mackay






Some photos I took as I walked.. Things I thought at the time of interest to myself.















No comments:

Post a Comment