Powered By Blogger

Friday 12 February 2016

Tutti Frutti walls and floor



Tutti Frutti

Planning of ideas and execution.........

So the brief wanted modern - when I think of a modern interior, geometric shapes start to come to mind........The last few years plain white (in all its different varieties) has been a popular choice in our homes. I guess the white gives the illusion of clean space and is fresh...You can easily change the colour scheme by adding different accessories adding a different seasonal option.....

Thinking of the organic and healthy environment - the bio-spheres of the Eden project came to mind..

Image result for Eden project biosphere Image result for Eden project biosphere

My interest in geometric shapes and this gave me a starting point for a design base. However, I needed to make sure I was in keeping with the Tutti Frutti idea... Honey and honeycomb shape! = honey goes into smoothies right? :)

While my connection at this point wasn't strong I didn't want to give up or change my plan so soon.......I felt that as the brief said a different twist on the other shops/cafes in a shopping centre. This design in my mind had this edge....in fact it had 6
Image result for hexagon has how many edges

Thinking of the lighting I thought about the idea of casting the shadow of the hexagon shape either on the floor or against a wall.... this would add a quirky effect and a different illusion for the customers walking in and around the room.

I set out with this in mind and printed out some basic shapes.....
enlarged shapes on projector
cutting out shapes

 I thought about shiny metal cutouts as it would reflect the light from other areas!   I went to different dept at college and ended up with a sheet of metal from the mechanics..... This would be hard work to cut out and sand then prime and spray for the image I had wanted......I didn't want to give up tho!  I when to the plumbers and asked for cutters

I'm a determined so and so....
sheet of metal

They said that it would take me hours.....NOT GOOD as I only wanted/needed to show an example scaled up of my idea....
After more talking to different people I was taken to the Heriot-Watt dept to look into a lazer cutter........Only the lazer couldn't cut metal, only card.......  So ok!!! It was only an example and I had to remember not to over think my example! Rein it in Donna.

So now I'm going to work with the woman at Heriot-Watt for a basic A1 cut out that I can paint and add my fruit design onto......I did or would of liked to etch the fruit into metal on a random shape/hexagon that wasn't cut out....... however, I felt I was being annoying and running off course with what I was being asked to do.

smaller example of cutout and shadow

smaller example of cutout and shadow

smaller example of cutout and shadow
   
Testing out my lighting ideas with example cutouts




I'm happy to run with it now so have to think about other areas of the Juice bar..... Chillout corner with seating and fun colours.....Yellow and Orange give the pick me up feel that the tired shoppers may need for a boost, plus fun colours for a Tutti Frutti theme....

finding that different lighting can change a colour

trying out mood board ideas


battery light on top of bottle tops


like the mix of square shapes and hexagon ones....Neon Lighting and bright colours on a white canvas
I also found some sack in B&Q while looking at worktops, lighting and flooring tiles etc. I thought it was a good example of texture for a seating idea......In theory the actually sack and threads couldn't be used for the seating but as a example to research other designers of fabrics!!
thinkin of texture for fabric
couldnt be used as not easy to clean or hard wearing enough for busy traffic areas or the spillage of juices.
In my book I have colour theory examples and colour chart examples! 

The flooring I would like a split and mix up of laminate and cement hexagon floor tiles 

not these colours but an example from carpet right research I did.....for patterns

counter idea of lighting underneath worktop

would catch customers eye also
So this is it so far.....
The brief doesn't give a scale so not sure what size of the Juice Bar or  the 3D model I've to make....Will try and keep it realistic and the proportion to the best scale I can without going into to much detail or scale measuring.





 While this is an exciting topic and project I feel I wish I knew more about modern technology and materials I could use..... By asking others questions I have found out a lot and I'm grateful for this. I guess as part of any design the knowledge has two parts....Research and implementation from other trades is a must to keep up to date in this area...... 

Who is the artist that has other people doing the work he designs? Maybe American ...damn!!!  Fun and Quirky with knowlegde of this process!

.




1 comment:

  1. some really good train of thought going on here along with passion - good to read

    ReplyDelete