Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 18 June 2019

3 portfolio


The above image I chose because for the last year or two I've really tried to paint the sheep skull.. I dont feel I have ever done it to a standard I'm happy with. This image was in acrylic but I've also done studies in watercolour, oil and mixed media. I found for quickness and a more opaque finish acrylics gave me a way to test my ideas and techniques.  It's a battle I will continue to try and execute in my studies or spare time. For me, the idea of viewing death like this gives it life and I feel I get a settled understanding about death in general from viewing and connecting with the macabre. This work isn't about a pretty picture it's about the internal journey I take, considering death, life and nature. The natural acceptance of death is something I once feared but I do believe that by considering it, it makes it easier to live with.
Damien Hirst I do think was more of an inspiration with these ideas of considering death than I realised at the time. As an artist his theories also play a part in the work he creates... for me the idea behind the work is more expressive and exciting than the work itself..  many works have a viewing pleasure factor or their regarded as such. I did think once over that a real life portrait well executed was the best kind of art out there. Or a great still life, but now I consider much more than the artists detailed representation of a work.. still life also has hidden meaning of live, death etc.... another reason it's high up there in my opinion.

Hirst

Hirst


The second image was one of photography. The topic we had been given was of the theme abandoned.  For me this was a great topic because not only did it have myself looking for themes or images of abandonment but also my family.. this was the first time my family had been interested or involved in my art course. Abandonment was actually bringing us together.

While I do enjoy photography because of the way you need to think about composition, light, angle, frame etc... I like the way photography can take you to a moment or a place.. memory or of interest. Questions asked.... I do wish to be able to paint some of the images I take. For me my artists hand isn't quite there.  Self doubt for me is a driving force however. Another reason why my studies in this area are important still.  


The sculpture of the hand is the third image I thought was important to who I was becoming as an artist.. the work related to some psychology I was researching. My own mental health and the mental health awareness in general. The something solid I felt that was missing in my life but also the heavy burden I carry around.. I did intend to make sheeple with the cement and my skulls... the idea of society following the herds... not thinking for ourselves etc. All of these studies with sculpture made me really what to understand more with the human existence. The mind and the feeling of my own belonging.. while I didn't continue with this theme on any art brief I know it will appear later down the line as I only just touched the surface of this idea. I do feel it could be a strong outcome if thought throughly out... from idea to execution. Plus I need to learn more about armature etc to gain more knowledge for my best possible outcome . 



No comments:

Post a Comment