Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 10 August 2016

The Summer Show, The Gallery Tweeddale Museum

Upon entering the room you couldn't help but be drawn to the colours and mix of bright pastels and ink black stokes upon them...

While different artist's on display the works themselves while similar on first glance, became a mix of artist's with they own unique style.

First up was Lida Hatrick and I did notice her soft pink and orange palette. warm and soft but with movement and energy.

Next my very own lecturer Niall Campbell, (careful what I say here haha) But in honestly I did see his own style coming through, while I haven't witnessed much of his work, I could see the characteristics and when I looked around the room I could easily identify which works could be his!

He seemed to have sets of 3 images together using the same colours on each canvas. The colours were strong but muted and gave the feel of past, authority or enforcement. The works had a less linear feel to them and circles were a prominent feature in them. the circles gave a softer but bold yet submissive feel......with the warmth from the prints themselves adding yet another sense. An interesting mix.

Which asks a few questions in itself, especially for a student who is just trying to learn and discover they own interests....

1 - Having your own style! is it a good or bad thing? Is it like a signature in itself?

2 - How important is it to have your own style?

3 - Does the medium you use change your style?

4 - Is it important to be able to identify an artist from first glance?

In truth I haven't been around long enough or have taken the time out enough to know the answer to these questions. If you think about the master's, everyone who's a real arty can identify the works of a van gogh or a turner. Now we have high tech methods like image data acquisition technology. But for the everyday artist, how important is it?

 Are the everyday artist's of today making history. Is the artist giving a time period, whether it’s abstract and modern or traditional. The medium itself used?Will that in time define a period or trend? The internet!!! how we buy sell and create art.

With one of Niall's work I could see it as a cushion! I think it was called a sense of place.......now without knowing anything about why or what it was about, did Niall intent for it for the purpose of homely, living, style of work? Was a sense of place fact or questioning! Did it even exist!

How important is the Title of a Work?

Three (21,22,23) had the same print imagery on the canvasses and I did wonder if it was something more opportunistic like he'd liked the way the print had turned out and thought I'll do another....or if he always had three/four/five works at a time on the go every time.

From everything I see I can't help but feel, I'm missing the biggest thing for my art studies and that actually doing......I can easily sit and type my thoughts yet what I need to do is to try! Shit where and what is time and how do I get some?

The work of Line Mortensen was a different way of me viewing. Using Italian smalti glass, gold leafed tiles, glass rods and recycled slate the artist made a type of wall art. At first I was dismissive of it, thinking -  could of at least made it into a mirror for that price! (my bad) but after leaving the gallery I can appreciate the amount of time and work that most of when into it. From selecting the size, shape then set up to cutting, placing and creating the work. Thats without asking the intended purpose or story behind it.......

Mixed media on canvas seems to be the in thing the now and this puts me off wanting to learn more because I feel I want to create something unique to me.

I guess my first thing I'd want/need to do is my colours.. to mix and create a colour. From a few select colours, (primary etc) to learn my colour wheel basics again and refresh my mind with the mixing process.. To challenge myself to be able to get my intended colour. making the exact intend colours.

TO BLOODY DO SOMETHING CREATIVE INSTEAD OF JUST ASKING QUESTIONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment