Powered By Blogger

Monday 12 November 2018

betty woodman pottery and thoughts

Beginning her career in the 1950's Woodman is known as a production potter. Her work is best known for it vibrant colour palette and painterly style. 

Below her pillow pitcher's are a great source of inspiration to me. The shape and handles more so than the colours used. After trying out clay for the first time I really relate to the cylinder form being pushed together. With the spouts and handles added also. My own work I think has a similar feel. For me the body and the bringing together parts to form another body or a piece is something that feels natural to me. Like the cells and nature of life itself. 





I read the inspirational work of Oribe pottery (style of Japanese pottery that first appeared in the sixteenth century), Tang Dynasty Pottery were a source of inspiration to Woodman.The painter and artist's like Matisse, Picasso and Bonnard too.. I get a sense of real play and love of the medium from her work. Her work really does bring out a painterly form and I like how expressive it is. The lines and glazes seem to bring alive the pieces.


Other works





My works so far.... 



 I was trying to understand how the clay worked and felt rather than a finished design...


Sources of info :
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oribe_ware
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/jan/17/betty-woodman-obituary


No comments:

Post a Comment